RE:Lens introduces easy-to-use stabilization for 360 VR and fisheye video!
San Francisco, February 1, 2017
RE:Vision Effects, acclaimed effects plug-in industry leader and makers of Academy Award winning software, announces RE:Lens™ v1.2 for Adobe® After Effects®, that introduces a spherical stabilization feature for 360 VR and fisheye footage. RE:Lens™ is a set of tools for projection conversion and lens distortion correction and is vital for super-wide, fisheye, spherical, and 360 panorama workflow.
RE:Lens straightens curved video captured with wide-angle and fisheye lenses. Shoot with a superfish lens on a single camera and convert the video to Latitude-Longitude (LatLong) format suitable for use with all major 360 viewers, plus create new looks with your 4K, 6K and 8K cameras that were not previously possible. You can animate camera rotations and zooms in post, providing greater flexibility when directing the viewer’s attention, and even create two separate virtual views using a single camera!
RE:Lens v1.2 adds spherical stabilization to address the problem of shaky or poor quality camera motion making the video hard to watch. This includes hand-held video or video captured while in movement, whether walking or attaching the camera to a motorcycle on a bumpy road.
When working with 360 VR or fisheye footage, traditional in-camera or post-production stabilizers do not work well, or at all, on this type of footage. When used, traditional methods will tend to stabilize the center of the frame and leave the edges rolling. They can also offset the optical center, making the result unusable for any task that requires projection of the fisheye. In addition, regular stabilizers don’t work on equirectangular 360 LatLong footage. The software will run, but will not properly transform the image itself creating obvious distortions when reprojected for display.
RE:Lens v1.2 presents a solution that works directly in spherical space, with no need to break up the sequence in 6 cube faces or do 2D tracking of reference points. It even works directly on stitched 360 VR sequences.
See RE:Lens’ stabilization in action! https://youtu.be/HgSyIUDXHcU
The UI is simple! You press "Track " and the sequence is analyzed and a more stable sequence is produced. That’s it! For more control, RE:Lens provides the ability to select frames that are “keys”, and stabilization is performed smoothly between the selected key times. Bonus: RE:Lens provides a set of automatically generated keys to get you started, so you do not have to start from scratch. By selecting keys where the horizon is straight, or other desired visual landmarks, RE:Lens can avoid unintentional or irregular motion. RE:Lens can also use moving-average (non key-frame) motion smoothing to stabilize fisheye sources in the manner you would usually do with a regular stabilizer.
Extra Value: Fisheye and 360 video often captures more in the view than what you eventually use for your final framing. Using RE:Lens’ spherical stabilizer there is often no issue of the stabilization leaving black around the edges of the transformed frame after stabilization, unlike regular stabilizers.
More RE:Lens information and demo movies are located on our website. https://revisionfx.com/products/relens
- Capture with your fisheye or super fisheye lens and then convert to normal “rectilinear” projection for output, eliminating the need to watch curved images.
- 360 (LatLong) to 2D conversion: Convert your 360 panoramic VR video to normal 2D, with options to edit and animate your point of view within the LatLong video.
- Convert super fisheye clips to a 360 panoramic video in a single step without the need for stitching software.
- New for version 1.2 in After Effects: Stabilize 360 VR and fisheye footage directly, with easy-to-use workflow!
- Paint or add motion graphics, titles, 3D material to your LatLong, fisheye and other non-rectilinear material easily: Convert to normal 2D, add motion graphics or 3D animation, then return the elements back to your source format using RE:Lens.
- Create ultra-wide aspect ratio videos from fisheye and wide-angle field-of-view lenses, maintaining a larger undistorted FOV than you can with any normal range lens.
- Proper perspective correction controls for wide-angle and fisheye
- Option to reduce over-stretched corners when generating super wide field-of-view outputs.
- Use super high-res 360 stock panoramas, or capture your own, and animate a virtual camera move within them.
- Attenuates chromatic distortions and fringing that can occur with curved lenses.
- Handles normal pincushion and barrel corrections for super wide-angle zoom lenses.
- Dedicated support for exotic mirror-based systems such as parabolic lens-mirrors and mirror balls.
- High quality filtering options. Option to automatically soften or sharpen in the appropriate places.
- Convert between these projection formats: rectilinear, latitude longitude (equirectangular 360 panoramic VR), fisheye, super fisheye, super wide-angle zoom, mirror ball projections, parabolic lens-mirrors.
Compatibility and Pricing
- Adobe After Effects CS6 and up (CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015 and CC 2017)
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and up (CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015 and CC 2017). NOTE: Premiere Pro version does not have the stabilization feature.
- Available for $189.95
- Buy licenses, including render-only and floating, from our website.
About RE:Vision Effects
RE:Vision Effects is a software development company focused on providing innovative software to create, modify, control, and enhance digital video imagery at the highest quality. Their products have a broad range of applications and are currently used in every phase of television, motion picture, internet and visual effects industries. The company supplies its cutting edge software through partnerships and direct sales for a large segment of customers ranging from at-home editors, wedding and other live event videographers, industrial video providers to those creating high-end effects for commercials, broadcast TV and big-budget films. The founders received a 2006 Academy Award for Technical Achievement for the design and development of this affordable, user-friendly RE:Vision family of software products.
Demo material, examples and software are available at http://www.revisionfx.com
Twixtor, DE:Noise, ReelSmart Motion Blur, RE:Map, RE:Match and RE:Flex are registered trademarks and Effections, FieldsKit, PV Feather, RE:Fill, RE:Lens, Shade/Shape, SmoothKit, and Video Gogh are trademarks of RE:Vision Effects, Inc. All other trademarks, company names and products are the property of their respective holders. Features, pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.