RE:Vision Effects today expanded support of its DE:Noise FxPlug plugin set for Final Cut Pro and Motion to include Final Cut Express. DE:Noise is a plugin set that removes excessive noise and artifacts in one easy-to-use tool. It handles spurious frame-to-frame defects ranging from fine digital and electronic noise to blotchy spots (e.g. dirt on the film). DE:Noise combines proprietary motion estimation (optical flow) techniques with feature-sensitive, edge-preserving spatial filtering methods to reduce the visual impact of various problems such as: noisy video (that can happen with low-light capture), excessive film grain, prefiltering noisy greenscreens before keying, CG renders affected by ray-tracing sampling artifacts, dust captured during film scan/transfer and printing, snow, drop-outs and many other defects.
Features of DE:Noise:
* Pre-processing contrast controls to help enhance the noise for easier elimination.
* Smart spatial filtering controls that allow for the spatial smoothing of noise without smoothing over important features in the image sequence.
* 8 different temporal filtering methods that uses motion estimation (via optical flow) to correlate images over time in order to reduce noise and other artifacts.
* Post-processing to help punch up the result or to undo the preprocessing contrast enhancement.
* Post sharpening option for when the denoising process makes the result softer than desired.
* 8 bits per channel (bpc) support within Final Cut Express, and support of higher bit depths (e.g., 10 bit YUV and floating point) where applicable within Final Cut Pro and Motion.
Bug Fixes and Enhancements newly available in DE:Noise FxPlug v1.1:
* Added a feature that presents an extra option when applying the plugin to interlaced footage (allowing the plugin to compare fields from the next frame instead of the adjacent field in the current frame). See the manual for details.
* Fixed some issues with non-full alpha layers with some spatial blurs; and, as a result, layers with non full alpha may take longer in some modes.
*The temporal threshhold has been changed so that desired results are easier to control. However, this also means that older projects will need some attention to the temporal threshhold value to get the exact same results. To get the same results, the solution is to take the square root of the value you had before (so that 10% should be reset to 31.62%, because .3162 is the square root of .1).
Availability and compatibility
* DE:Noise is available as an FxPlug plugin for Final Cut Express 4.0.1 and up, Final Cut Pro 6.0.1 and up, Motion 3.0.1 and up.
* DE:Noise FxPlug version is priced at $149.95.
* Volume discounts available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Demo material, examples and software are available at http://www.revisionfx.com .
DE:Noise is a trademark of RE:Vision Effects, Inc. Other trademarks are owned by their respective owners.